light it up

September 16, 2016

Lately I've been seriously considering the addition of a plug-in sconce to our bedroom lighting ensemble. While we have two nice lamps on either side, it would be wonderful to add additional reading lights over the bed. Actually I've been dreaming about particular sconces since we stayed at the (now deceased) Viceroy hotel in Miami a few years ago. The room had a gorgeous bed flanked with large lamps on either side, but it also had thin, modern LED lights that peeked from behind the bed frame. See if you can spot them in the photo below.




With that inspiration in mind, I started thinking about how I could have the same look, but of course in a more affordable version. Sconces next to the bed have been rather trendy lately, but the cost can be pretty expensive. So while I was on the hunt, I decided to go ahead and pull together a round-up of my favorite plug-in sconces. Why plug-in? Well I like flexibility. What if I get tired of the solution and want to try something else? Or what if we decide to get a new (or larger) bed? Plus, having to get sconces installed permanently is such a drag, possibly cost-prohibitive, and not very renter friendly for those of you who don't currently own your place of residence. Anyhoo, here's what I came up with.





1. beaker / 2. zinc ethan / 3. Inez / 4. globe clear / 5. arstid / 6. brass nook / 7. eyeball / 8. globe cage / 9. ranarp / 10. crosby / 11. tived / 12. glass globe / 13. accordian / 14. logan / 15. alang

And People, don't forget your cord management! It is so important unless you have a sexy fabric- covered cord like #9. To make sure a cord stays on the straight and narrow, I like to use this adhesive paintable cord cover. And just in case you were still wondering, I'm totally digging #11 for our space. Most of these options can hold their own (without the addition of a lamp) but we've decided to keep our lamps because well... they're pretty. And I'm not a huge fan of overhead lighting (unless it's fabulous) but in our case a ceiling fan in the bedroom is a non-negotiable. Also, just for reference, here's a photo of our bedroom situation (it's an old photo, but we've only hung art over the bed since then.)



And a quick sketch of an idea never hurt anyone!




I can't wait to get the lights installed! And don't worry, I'll definitely let you know how it goes! :)

Post a Comment

Do you want to make my day? Comments make me feel super special!